Re: Pygostyle

>There is no pygostyle in Patagopteryx, which almost everyone concedes is
>avian. What might you make of this?

There are a number of possibilities, I suppose:

1. Patagopteryx is not avian; and/or
2. The pygostyle has been secondarily lost in this form (for all I know,
this might involve a relatively minor genetic shift); or
3. The pygostyle evolved more than once in different lines of
tail-feather-bearing(?) maniraptorians, and Patagopteryx is basal to the
lineage in Aves that evolved it.

I have no idea which of these is correct, but they all seem to be at least
reasonable a priori hypotheses.

1825 Shady Creek Court