Re: pygostyle

In a message dated 11/3/99 10:45:31 AM EST, jrhutch@socrates.berkeley.edu
writes:

<< Whoa, hold on here.  That is incorrect.  As Chiappe (1996; Munchner
 Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen Reihe A 30:215) noted, "Contrary to
 Alvarenga & Bonaparte (1992), it is not known whether there was a
 pygostyle."  I have examined all of the known specimens and I concur; you
 cannot tell.  There are 5 or more free caudals; that's all you can say
 about the tail, which is incomplete in the holotype MACN-N-03 and the nice
 specimen MACN-N-11. >>

Thanks for the clarification/correction. I've always seen it restored with
shortened tail and no pygostyle.