re: pygostyle

John R. Hutchinson wrote:

Whoa, hold on here. That is incorrect. As Chiappe (1996; Munchner Geowissenschaftliche Abhandlungen Reihe A 30:215) noted, "Contrary to Alvarenga & Bonaparte (1992), it is not known whether there was a pygostyle." I have examined all of the known specimens and I concur; you cannot tell. There are 5 or more free caudals; that's all you can say about the tail,...

The rather tall caudal neural spines, though, suggests that _Patagopteryx_'s tail might be long rather than short.

Tim