Dinosaur Genera List corrections #116

Several more items have arrived since I returned from the SVP meeting in
Denver. First, an email from Max C. Langer informed me of the following new
genus and species:

Saturnalia tupiniquim Langer, Abdala, Richter & Benton, 1998

which is to be found in

Langer, M. C., Abdala, F., Richter, M. and Benton, M. J. 1998. "A
sauropodomorph dinosaur from the Upper Triassic (Carnian) of southern
Brazil," C.R.Acad.Sci.Paris. Sciences de la terre et des planetes. 329,
511-517.

I have yet to see this paper, so I'm not completely certain whether it
appeared in late 1998 or early 1999; I'm going by the earlier date for now.
The dinosaur is a very primitive sauropodomorph known from three incomplete
skeletons. So we add

Saturnalia Langer, Abdala, Richter & Benton, 1998

as genus #863 to the Dinosaur Genera List. Remarkably, the generic name Saturn
alia does not seem to be preoccupied(!). It is apparently a reference to the
Roman holiday, but until I see the paper I cannot confirm this.

Tom Holtz notes that the paper

Sanz, J. L., J. E. Powell, J. Le Loeuff, R. Martínez & X. Pereda-Suberbiola.
1999.  "Sauropod remains from the Upper Cretaceous of Lan~o (Northcentral
Spain). Titanosaur phylogenetic relationships,"  Est. Mus. Cienc. Nat. de
Alava 14 (Num. Espec. 1): 235-255.

includes the new genus and species

Lirainosaurus astibiae Sanz, J. E. Powell, Le Loeuff, Martínez &
Pereda-Suberbiola, 1999

along with but outside of Saltasaurinae within a new taxon Eutitanosauria.
Accordingly, we add the genus

Lirainosaurus Sanz, J. E. Powell, Le Loeuff, Martínez & Pereda-Suberbiola,
1999

as genus #864 to the Dinosaur Genera List. "Lirain" is Basque for "slender,"
and the species name honors Dr. Humberto Astibia. I have been looking for the
citation for this dinosaur since DGL corrections #95, where I spelled the
name Lirainasaurus; this misspelling also occurs in the paper, according to
Tom's email.

Tom also notes that we now have a scientific description of the genus and
species Notohypsilophodon comodorensis:

Martínez, R.  1998. "Notohypsilophodon comodorensis gen. et sp. nov. Un
Hypsilophodontidae (Ornitischia [sic]: Ornithopoda) del Cretacico Superior
de Chubut, Patagonia Central, Argentina," Acta Geologica Leopoldensia 21:
119-135.

(Note that the "i" in Martínez is acute-accented--this doesn't come through
in all emails.) So we change the listing for Notohypsilophodon to:

Notohypsilophodon Martínez, 1998

and it is no longer a nomen nudum.

Finally, Betty Cunningham sent notice of an online news report about a new
genus of a gigantic long-necked brachiosaurid sauropod from Oklahoma
(cervical vertebrae 4 feet long):

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/19991102/sc/science_dinosaur_1.html

The generic name given in the report is Sauroposeidon, but until I find a
>published< news account (not just an online Reuters news report) that
includes this name, I will refrain from adding it to the List. The name,
attributed to Rich Cifelli, honors the Greek god Poseidon in his role as god
of earthquakes, a reference to the dinosaur's earth-shaking size. So stay
tuned; the DGL corrections #117 with name #865 may not be long in coming.