RE: Sauroposeidon

On 11/03/99 15:52:06 Tom Holtz writes:
>It is most assuredly not too recent for a brachiosaur, as at least SOME of
>the _Astrodon_/_Pleurocoelus_ material (contemporaneous with
>"Sauroposeidon") seems to be brachiosaurid.  Furthermore, there is now
>evidence of titanosaurs in North America by the mid-Cretaceous.

Yes, brachiosaurs have been found in the early-mid Cretaceous of Utah.  Some
SVP attendees saw
two new brachiosaurs from the Cedar Mountain Formation, at DMNH two weeks ago.

Tom raises a valid point concerning the blurring of the lines defining
brachiosaurs and
titanosaurs.  In researching our latest specimens, I have encountered great
frustration in
attempting to nail down sufficiently robust characters to support proper
identification of the
of new taxa coming to light in the EK. But eventually, we'll get a handle on
just what kind of
critters we are dealing with. So, with all of the ongoing sauropod research in
the Early - Mid
Cretaceous, the next few years will be VERY exciting!

Virginia Tidwell
Denver Museum of Natural History
2001 Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO  80205