WWD MARINE REPTILES

What is it with me and marine reptiles? Oh, I know, it's because I'm
*British*. That's OK then:) Tom Holtz wrote...

> As for the choice of the focus on marine reptiles in the 3rd
> episode: well, it IS a BBC production, and the production team
> wanted to focus on Mesozic England for at least one episode.
> England may not have much in the way of non-avian dinosaurs (outside
> the Wealden, which was covered in episode 4), but it has buttloads
> of marine reptiles!!

Though I may get lynched for saying this, the real reasons for an
episode on marine reptiles were (1) WWD spent a lot of time playing
with _Liopleurodon_ for the pilot (on the advice of Dave Martill: he
suggested it as an exciting giant animal that hadn't got much media
coverage before) and (2) it is cheaper to show animals swimming in
water than it is to show land animals romping through realistic
Mesozoic habitats. In fact, that the pilot _was_ the prototype Oxford
Clay episode (bits of it were shown at SVPCA '98 and much was later
changed for the final episode - particularly the dinosaurs) reflects
this latter point.

For those that haven't seen it, the Oxford Clay episode (Savage Seas)
also includes _Eustreptospondylus_, _Rhamphorhynchus_, horseshoe
crabs and ammonites. Sauropods (with vertical necks) were in the
pilot (and are still to be seen in the 'Making of WWD').

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]