Re: Disney's Dinosaur Trailer

The flight of the (trailer) pterodactyl is similar to the flight of the
dragon in Dragonheart.

It 'looks' nice but it doesn't 'feel' right.

The flight of the dragon in Dragonslayer didn't 'look' as nice
(stylewise) as in Dragonheart but it 'felt' better.

The difference is that the dragon in Dragonslayer 'felt' as though it
had a LOT of mass it was moving through the air.  The dragon in
Dragonheart could have easily been a balloon with very little mass
affecting it's movement at all.

We base our 'feelings' on this on what we've observed ourselves -birds
that big would have lots of mass.

Question is, would pterosaurs that big have as much mass as a bird that
big (my understanding is that pterosaurs would be lighter), and if
depicted accurately would us bird-biased people think it 'felt' right?

So next question is: which way do you do it?

-Betty Cunningham
(deep thought animator)

--
Flying Goat Graphics