Re: Disney's Dinosaur Trailer

JimC wrote:

>Pat, why do you say thatt birds have retained more muscle mass in their
wings than pterodactyls?  I suggest you look at the muscle attachment
markings on Qsp and Qn and some of the necessary skeletal deformations on Qn
that were used to increase the contact area of the attachments.<

I am using the definition of "wing muscles" adopted by Ken Dial and Stephan
Gatesy who distinguish "wing muscles" from the flight muscles to which I
think you are referring. Wing muscles, according to those researchers (and
discussed by Pat Shipman in her book "Taking wing") are muscles that
originate from and attach to bones of the wing itself and excludes muscles
that orginate on the carina or furcula.   Wing muscles in birds are not used
for flapping or for flexion or extension of the wing during flapping flight,
but to act upon the feathers, radius, ulna and the carpometacarpus to adjust
the wing airfoil shape to enhance manueverability.

Bats have much less massive wing muscles (relatively) than birds, and I
admit to assuming that pterosaurs did as well.  If pterosaurs had massive
wing muscles (again, not "flight" muscles) I'd be interested in knowing what
they were used for.

> We are talking about the inner wing here, inboard of the wrist<

I was talking about wing muscles.

>not the outer wing which was mostly (but not entirely) tendon and
membrane.<

My point precisely.

Pat