Re: Disney's Dinosaur Trailer

BettyC wrote:

>probably walking quadrepedally?<

Perhaps so.  Betty's idea that those muscles may be related to terrestrial
locomotion is interesting. I hadn't even considered that, but it's worth
thinking about. Birds don't use their wings for terrestrial locomotion, and
bats generally don't, but a flying vertebrate that was also a frequent
quadrapedal walker might show some neat differences.

My basic point is that evolution would be strongly selective towards
minimizing mass in the distal forelimb elements of flying vertebrates, for
obvious biomechanical reasons. So anytime we see isolated concentrations of
mass in distal limb elements (such as avian wing muscles), we need to look
for a very important functional explanation.  We don't see such mass in bat
wings (not much, anyway). We do see it in birds, but in my opinion--and this
is what led to my original question-- the evolutionary rationale offered by
researchers for maintaining that condition seems weak.

I'll leave it to others to present evidence of wing muscles (or wing-like
muscles) in pterosaurs and to offer an explanation of their function.

Pat

Pat