Re: TALL SHOULDERS

Darren Naish wrote:

<...Greg might disagree with this, as in his
_Hunteria_ paper (and in subsequent articles), and as
Tim explained in his email, he has shown how the angle
of the sacral verts (called the anterodorsal
inclination by Tim) indicates a thorax that was held
at a raised angle to the ground, rather than parallel
to it as is reconstructed for most dinosaurs
(Martinesque archaeopterygids notwithstanding....
these coelurosaurs clearly mimicked sifakas and
hominines:)). However, if this sacral angle is true
for titanosaurs, maybe the correlation doesn't work.>

  Maybe we should work on the comparative biomechanics
of the dorsally everted anterior face of the sacrum
and general inclined axis of the same. This would
actually support more force given the reduced ventral
pull of gravity because it's "up." Structural support
for the dorsum musculature, bracing for the neck
(which would still make a whole lot of sense), support
for the return forces put on simply by taking a step
with the forelimb....

  I won't pretend I know a lot about sauropod biology
myself, so I'll stop here. Just a few topics I feel
might help resolve this kind of thing.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.