Re: Brachiosaurus and co.

Tim White asks about Brachiosaurus skulls found in North America:
  One honest - to - goodness Brachiosaurus skull was found in the late 1880's
in Garden Park,
Colorado, (Late Jurassic) and sent to Marsh. It was partially prepared,
misidentified as
Camarasaurus, and forgotten. Several years ago, Jack McIntosh "discovered" it
at the
Smithsonian, contacted Ken Carpenter, who had the skull prepared, molded and
cast. The missing
pieces were fabricated, and a complete skull was constructed and is on display
at the Denver
Museum of Natural History. It is clearly Brachiosaurus, although differing from
B. brancai in
several details.  Since very little postcranial material was recovered in the
original
excavation, it cannot be linked directly to B. altithorax, although this is a
distinct
possibility. The descriptive paper was published in 1998.

As for other "Brachiosaur - type" skull from North America, I have heard rumors
of a partial
skull from the Morrison Fm of Texas.  Field work in the Early Cretaceous of
Utah by 4 or 5
different institutions is producing several new "Brachiosaurid/Titanosaur"
skeletons.
Unfortunately, preparation is slow work.  We will just have to wait a while for
the descriptive
papers to come out.

cheers,

Virginia Tidwell