Re: "wing muscles"

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Gatesy <Stephen_Gatesy@Brown.edu>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Sunday, November 07, 1999 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: "wing muscles"

>Pat Norton wrote:

>(snip)

Wing muscles in birds are not used
>>for flapping or for flexion or extension of the wing during flapping
flight,
>>but to act upon the feathers, radius, ulna and the carpometacarpus to
adjust
>>the wing airfoil shape to enhance manueverability.
>
>(etc.)

So then,...it is generally thought that pterosaurs  >>didn`t<< use "wing
muscles" to adjust the camber of their wings (as noted in previous
discussions)? How do you know they didn`t? They had actinofibrils to
maintain stiffness and wing shape, but, were these passive structures, or
could they be modified by wing muscles? Is there any evidence for or against
this?

Perhaps I should have stepped in and asked earlier when Jim Cunningham was
also taking part in this discussion, but I`m sure any of you could give a
proper reply.