Re: Giant birds

At 2:11 AM -0800 11/8/99, Jaime A. Headden wrote:

>  No, Gargantuavis was not, and I do not think ever
>was called, ostrich-like.

Eric Buffetaut, who described it did not, but I think the press may have
called it "ostrich-like". It was about ostrich size, which was how I
described it for New Scientist, and that may be where this impression came
from. Buffetaut said the unusually broad pelvis is "totally unlike the
pelvis of an ostrich or any other large terrestrial bird." As Jaime said,
the partial pelvis is all that is known.

Jeff Hecht     Boston Correspondent    New Scientist magazine
525 Auburn St.,          Auburndale, MA 02466             USA
tel 617-965-3834 fax 617-332-4760 e-mail jhecht@world.std.com
see New Scientist on the Web: http://www.newscientist.com/