Re: Greg Paul's phytodinosauria gone?

In a message dated 11/9/99 2:10:59 AM EST, eamalitz@hotmail.com writes:

<< So if I get it right Greg Paul has finally sunk his despicable late
 surviving prosauropod hypothesis. I thought that was the one blemish amidst
 his otherwise very distinguished contributions to dinosaurology. It is also
 a pity that the Therizinosaurs did not figure in the Predatory Dinosaurs of
 the World. >>

Greg Paul gave it up much earlier than I did. But Phytodinosauria is still
the best way to organize the herbivorous dinosaurs; ornithischians are most
closely related to and probably descended from very basal sauropodomorphs, as
shown by tooth shape, digital formulae, and various other cranial and
postcranial features. Big problem is that we don't have enough remains of
early ornithischians to make the link more solid. Segnosaurs could have
helped join the groups; they had many of the right anatomical features, but
these must now be considered homoplasies.