GSP'S DIXON

At SVP I was lucky enough to find and buy a copy of Dougal Dixon's
1988 _The New Dinosaurs_, a book with some very interesting ideas
regardless of your opinion on the feasibility of the creatures Dougal
created. Of course, Dougal himself was present at SVP (I wonder if
there are any vert. palaeo. conferences he *doesn't* attend:)) and he
kindly offered to sign the copy for me. In what I interpret as a
remarkable instance of serendipity, my copy, however, had already
been signed by Dougal in its previous incarnation as someone else's
property. The odds of a signed copy meeting up at an American
conference with the man who signed it might be very small; OTOH,
Dougal may sign an awful lot of his books.

On the same day, Tom Holtz told me about the review Greg Paul
published of _The New Dinosaurs_ in _Evolutionary Biology_. We all
know about this review because Tom has mentioned it on the list
previously. Greg makes some speculations of his own, and apparently
even provides drawings of some of the creatures _he_ thinks might
have evolved from Upper K dinosaurs. The problem here is that
_Evolutionary Biology_ is notoriously hard to get hold of. However,
before worrying about that I must ask... can anyone provide the full
citation for Greg's review? If I ever get hold of a copy I will
gladly distribute others.

"_Ornithodesmus cluniculus_ playing soulful blues numbers in a
Chicago nightclub" - - from my thesis, with an amendment courtesy
Dave Martill.

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]