Re: Giant birds

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> There's another definition of birds (one I particularly like because of its
> simplicity): all archosaurs closer to living birds than to living
> crocodilians (their closest living relatives), advocated by Peter Ax in 1989.
> By this definition, all dinosaurs become birds, as do pterosaurs (if you
> consider them to be ornithodiran archosaurs and not something more distant, a
> la Peters, for which the evidence is beginning to accumulate). For historical
> reasons, I would advocate using the term Thecodontia for the complementary
> taxon, all archosaurs closer to living crocodilians than to living birds.

Of course, most people use Ornithosuchia and Pseudosuchia for these taxa
(not great names, but, IMHO, neither are Aves and Thecodontia).

If you call {Neornithes > _Crocodylus_} Aves, shouldn't you call
{_Crocodylus_ > Neornithes} Crocodylia?

--T. Michael Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu | THE DINOSAURICON: http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/
AOL IM:  Ric Blayze | WORLDS:    http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/