Re: Giant birds

In a message dated 11/9/99 1:33:22 PM EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:

<< Of course, most people use Ornithosuchia and Pseudosuchia for these taxa
 (not great names, but, IMHO, neither are Aves and Thecodontia).>>

Aves and Thecodontia at least have priority over Ornithosuchia and
Pseudosuchia, respectively. Plus Pseudosuchia ("false crocodiles") includes
true crocodiles.

<< If you call {Neornithes > _Crocodylus_} Aves, shouldn't you call
 {_Crocodylus_ > Neornithes} Crocodylia? >>

Good point; I could definitely live with that. Crocodylia has priority over
Thecodontia, too. I was thinking in terms of crocs being derived
thecodontians, but it's just as easy to think of the early archosaurs as
primitive crocs.