Re: Giant birds

In a message dated 11/9/99 2:25:01 PM EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:

<< > Aves and Thecodontia at least have priority over Ornithosuchia and
 > Pseudosuchia, respectively.

 Well, Amniota has priority over Alvarezsauria, but it doesn't mean they're
 the same taxon. >>

If you were to define Alvarezsauria to be the same taxon, then Amniota would
have priority as the name for this taxon. Of course, nobody has even
suggested such a definition. As I defined them in my email, Aves is the same
as Ornithosuchia and Thecodontia is the same as Pseudosuchia, so the former
names would have priority.