Re: Ornithischian opisthopuby (was RE: Giant birds)

Thomas Holtz writes:
> In fact, the opisthopuby of ornithischians is commonly supposed to have
made
> additional gut space for digesting plants (basic aspect of physiology is
> that plants take longer to digest than meat).  The new design allows an
> increase of gut volume without making the critter extra-wide.
Are there any advantages to the Saurischian hip design?  In the early stages
of hip development are there any fundamental morphologic reasons why an
ornithischian hip could not be built straight off?  If the answers to both
these questions are "no", then why (apart from random semi-functioning
usefulness) aren't we seeing ornithischian hips from day one?

Samuel Barnett