Re: Giant birds

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999 Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/9/99 4:36:22 PM EST, tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu writes:
>
> << I guess I must be a bat, then, since patagia are modified forms of the
>  webbing between my fingers. >>
>
> You might better think of bats as modified primates,

Well, Linnaeus did ( I think). And you might think of birds as modified
dinosaurs.

> since nobody has yet proposed that humans are secondarily flightless
> bats

Even you don't propose that ankylosaurs are secondarily flightless, just
secondarily terrestrial (right?). Humans *are* secondarily terrestrial.

> (though they're getting close...). Don't see how you got here
> from what I wrote, however.

You said ankylosaurs could be considered birds since scutes and feathers
are homologous. Bat wings and human finger webbing are homologous.

--T. Michael Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu | THE DINOSAURICON: http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/
AOL IM:  Ric Blayze | WORLDS:    http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/