Procheneosaurus (was Re: Two open letters from Storrs Olson (LONG))

George Olshevsky wrote:

Since Procheneosaurus has
priority by three years over the famous name Lambeosaurus--and the type species Procheneosaurus praeceps is >probably< based on the
> skeleton of a juvenile Lambeosaurus lambei (Dodson, 1975), type
> species of Lambeosaurus--it may be necessary to sink Lambeosaurus in > favor of Procheneosaurus as a junior subjective synonym.

I don't think this would happen, for two reasons:
1) As with centrosaurines and chasmosaurines, the diagnostic characters of lambeosaurines are probably ontogeny-dependent and only manifest themselves with maturity. _Procheneosaurus praeceps_ may be a juvenile _L. lambei_, but this this will be hard to prove. Like _Monoclonius crassus_ and _Brachyceratops montanensis_, names based on juvenile lambeosaurine material are probably best treated as nomina dubia.

(2) Any attempt to sink _L_ into _P_ would be met with some degree of consternation from the palaeontological community. I'm sure the ICZN would be petitioned to have a name as well-loved as _Lambeosaurus_ preserved and _Procheneosaurus_ suppressed a la _Coelophysis_.

Tim