Re: Procheneosaurus (was Re: Two open letters from Storrs Olson (LONG))

In a message dated 11/11/99 3:07:04 PM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com
writes:

<< I don't think this would happen, for two reasons:
 1) As with centrosaurines and chasmosaurines, the diagnostic characters of
 lambeosaurines are probably ontogeny-dependent and only manifest themselves
 with maturity.  _Procheneosaurus praeceps_ may be a juvenile _L. lambei_,
 but this this will be hard to prove.  Like _Monoclonius crassus_ and
 _Brachyceratops montanensis_, names based on juvenile lambeosaurine material
 are probably best treated as nomina dubia.

 (2) Any attempt to sink _L_ into _P_ would be met with some degree of
 consternation from the palaeontological community.  I'm sure the ICZN would
 be petitioned to have a name as well-loved as _Lambeosaurus_ preserved and
 _Procheneosaurus_ suppressed a la _Coelophysis_. >>

I certainly agree. But the possibility does exist.