Jobaria and the Elephant Commit Suicide

  Once again another sauropod mount rears its head, lifting its forelimbs
into the air, ready to crush an Allosaurus or Afrovenator into a pulp. I know
elephants have something to do with this imagery--they can rear up to reach
food or perform tricks in the zoos or circus. But do they do this for
defense? I know they use their heads and tusks. Look what one did to Carl
Akeley. Is there any record of an elephant rearing up and stomping a lion or
tiger? Or a pride of lions or whatever they call a group of tigers? Ron?
  It seems to me that it would take about a day for a carnosaur to learn that
when a large sauropod BEGAN to rear up on its hind limbs that that would be a
signal to come and get it. "Here's my exposed belly and hind limbs!"No big
deal for those swift killers to avoid that kind of confrontation. I'm sorry,
but I don't think this scenario has been thought out very well. There is no
mention at the www.jobaria.org website about elephants using this kind of
behaviour for defense. Have I missed something?
  There is also an animation at this website that shows a sauropod trackway
in action. Unfortunately, the manus prints are heading north while the pes
prints are going south. The right and left pes prints are also switched so
the big ungual is on the outside. Comments? Signed, Dan Varner.