From: Ray Stanford <starsong@prodigy.net>
To: <webmaster@projectexploration.org>

Subject: On the "Animation of the foot order of a preserved sauropod
trackway"...

Unfortunately, the animation of the sauropod trackway sequences COMPLETELY
BACKWARD!

    The trackway represented is derived from the Briar site in Arkansas,
with which I am very familiar.  J. Nugent or someone advising him simply
made a mistake or mis-interpretation of the way the trackway should
sequence.

    Please reverse the animation direction...

    In case you do not believe this,  please refer to DINOSAUR TRACKS AND
TRACES (Gillette and Lockley, Cambridge U. Press, 1989), page 328, Figure
34.19, as well as a photo of that trackway on the facing page (329).  You
will see that I am correct in this.  Please ask Nugent to just reverse the
sequence and it will be correct.  I would also advise adding, "After Pittman
and Gillette".

    This mistake probably would not have happened had a Paluxy River (Texas)
sauropod trackway been used as a model, such as that illustrated on page
374 [of the same book], Figure 42.3, in Farlow, Pittman, and Hawthorne's
excellent article on
Brontopodus birdi.

    Ray Stanford