Re: Therizinosauroids (was Re: Giant Birds)

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

[snip]

<...and a radius over 90% of metatarsal length**.>

  I see no functional reason to include this in an
analysis of bipeds when the only possible
radius/metatarsal correllation I can percieve would be
among quadrupedal animals. Shortening of the forelimb
or lengthening thereof is probably quite variable
among all sorts of taxa, not just dinosaurs. A
possible correllation might be nonhumans [definition:
all apes excluding *Homo* (specifically, *H. sapiens
(sapiens)*) -- good use of a paraphyletic term] where
the lengthening of the arm compares well with
shortening of the leg, in relation to increased use of
the former and lack of complete use of the latter,
thus elongate forelimb elements is related to
shortened hindlimb elements. But these animals in
question are not such taxa to need the use of their
forelimbs to hang from trees and not use the legs.

<** Present in Oviraptor and Beipiaosaurus (the lower
arm is incomplete but indicates that the metatarsus is
shorter). Ingenia would seem to have shorter arms
(radius 77% of mt), but this may be a reversal (As
could Caudipteryxs' condition. Anyone have data for
Conchoraptor,>

  As far as I can tell, unpublished. Barsbold et al.
(1990) do offer, with scales, *Conchoraptor* manus and
pes, and mention several skeletons, but I have yet to
see a whole lot on this.

<Rinchenia, etc. limb proportions?).>

  The type for *Oviraptor mongoliensis* ("Rinchenia")
is a skull. I know of no other specimens but the type
(IGM 100/21).

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.