NEW TAPEJARIDS

Dan (dbensen) wrote...

> Does anyone know whether the "Tapejara sp" of David Peters's pages has
> been officially named?  And if so, what is its species name?

Not sure what species you mean without consulting Dave's page, but a
new species, _Tapejara imperator_, was described by Kellner recently.
It has a relatively enormous soft tissue crest supported by thin bony
spars from the premaxillary and parietal crests. Another new species
(and possibly genus) is presently in press - it also has a huge soft
tissue crest, but of a different shape (best approximated as a giant
inverted U). Photos have already been published in _Oryctos_ 1.

Don't forget that tapejarids have now been reported from northern
Africa (Buffetaut and Wellnhofer 1999). Some (unpublished) pterosaur
phylogenies find Tapejaridae to be paraphyletic, with _Tupuxuara_
closer to azhdarchids than to _Tapejara_ - if you are familiar with
Dave's pterosaur page you will know that he groups tapejarids in a
clade (the Scalmognathi*) with pteranodontids.

*Did I spell it right?

"I find no grammatical flaws in the way Yoda talks"

DARREN NAISH
PALAEOBIOLOGY RESEARCH GROUP
UNIVERSITY OF PORTSMOUTH
Burnaby Building
P01 3QL                               [COMING SOON:
http://www.naish-zoology.com]