I thought volcanic eruptions produced carbon dioxide, not oxygen... at least
that's what my
geo textbook says... maybe the (relatively) sudden rise in carbon dioxide from
the Traps,
then the sudden spike in oxygen from the impact was too much for the ecosystem
to sustain.

On a side note... our chem prof mixed hydrogen and oxygen in class and it made
a fireball
that rocked the entire lecture hall... and that was only a balloon full!  The
amount of
energy released when several cubic miles of seawater's worth of those two
elements combined
is beyond my comprehension...

Just a few thoughts...

--
Michael A. de Sosa
Undergraduate Student

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make
as they fly by."  -Douglas Adams