Re: _Archaeoraptor_

In a message dated 11/13/99 12:48:44 PM EST, Gothgrrl@aol.com writes:

<< It's possible someone's pointed this out already (I confess to not having
 read every post related to the recent NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC article), but
 since, by the ICZN code, pp. 100-101 of Vol. 195, No. 5 of NG, does
 constitute a valid (albeit marginal) taxonomic description, then Stephen
 Czerkas, when he *does* get around to describing the Liaoning fossil, cannot
 be the *author* of the binomen _Archaeoraptor liaoningensis_. Rather, that
 honor falls to Christopher P. Sloan, who wrote the NG article. Thus, the
 correct name is _Archaeoraptor liaoningensis_ Sloan 1999, whether that was
 Sloan's intention or not. >>

As I pointed out previously, the article has enough disclaimers in it that
the appearance of the name Archaeoraptor liaoningensis cannot be regarded as
a formal nomenclatural act. Disclaimers exclude names under Article I section
6 of the 1985 Code, which covers names not intended for formal taxonomic use.
Archaeoraptor liaoningensis is, for the moment, just a nomen nudum with no
scientific standing. In the old days, however, a description like the one
that appeared in NG would have stood up.