Re: Dinos in the Southern Hemisphere: Sereno et al. and the VII MesozoicTerre...

In a message dated 11/13/99 2:45:11 PM EST, twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com
writes:

<< Most likely, as Upchurch suggests
 (in his recent JVP paper on nemegtosaurids), the partial mandible and
 braincase come from two different sauropods.  Sereno et al provide a
 possible identity for the mandible (rebbachisaurid).

 The hypodigm of _Antarctosaurus wichmannianus_ is problematic since the
 postcranium too may be a chimera.  Huene had an irritating habit of pooling
 unassociated material together into single taxa, and separating associated
 material into different taxa.  _Laplatasaurus_ is problematic for much the
 same reason. >>

This is indeed the case. Jack McIntosh told me about this problem many years
ago, when I was looking at titanosaurids. Was one of the reasons I decided to
avoid titanosaur taxonomy. Glad to see people are finally beginning to mess
around with them.