Re: Jobaria and the Elephant...

Matt Bonnan wrote:

<When I said the crashing down of a sauropod gives me the willies, I
meant that it stands an awful risk of breaking its bones>

I am a little confused by this.  As an example, when we (humans) perform a
push up, we are using the contraction of the Triceps (primary), and upon
descent from the apex of the maneuver we use the Triceps as a control
mechanism for a smooth descent.  I don't know what the name to apply to this
other than a controlled relaxation of the Triceps group.  I am not going to
argue behavior on rearing for defense, I have a preference to functional
morphology.  I will say this, yes it could raise up, from a functional stand
point, the why is speculation at this point.  As for any sauropod with a
structure capable of rearing, it would have a controlled decent, there is no
compelling argument to suggest otherwise (the gravity doesn't change, and the
acceleration of descent wouldn't overcome the control of a muscle group
strong enough to raise it in the first place).  Thanks

D. Michael Lovelace

<science is like sex:  if you are not having fun you are not doing it right>