Re: Theories on the extinction of plants

-----Original Message-----
From: Betty Cunningham <bettyc@flyinggoat.com>
To: dbensen@gotnet.net <dbensen@gotnet.net>
Cc: larryf@capital.net <larryf@capital.net>; John Bois <jbois@umd5.umd.edu>;
Date: Saturday, November 13, 1999 11:40 PM
Subject: Re: Theories on the extinction of plants

>seeds perhaps? how about worst case..the plant gets broken off and burnt
>at ground level..plants can grow back from this
>
>heh plants have been cloning themselves for a long long time....
>-Betty

Condylarths
>> consumed roots and tubers?<<
>>
>> This is not to punch holes in anybody's theories, I am generaly curious
as to
>> WhAT HAPPENED TO THE PLANTS?  Philip Bigelow's list of the plants (it's
at
>> Dinosauria Online)of Helly Creek  (right at the end of the K) show a
striking
>> resemblence to plants in similar environments today.  Amoung the plants
are
>> species of ficus, beech trees, tulip trees, sycamores, grapes (possibly),
>> walnut trees, sweet gum, ginko, cinnamon trees, poplars, redwoods, apple
trees
>> (rosaceae), sequoia, cypress, elms, etc, etc, etc.  These are _large_
species,
>> at least shrub size, and did not burrow.  How did they pull through?
>>
>> Dan
>
>--
>Flying Goat Graphics
>http://www.flyinggoat.com
>(Society of Vertebrate Paleontology member)

Yes. Plants are t the bottom of the food chain, and here, organisms seem
most resistant to extinction. It`s at the top, that specialized predators
suffer the most....(ie. the carnivores). So, even if some vegie`s got by, it
may not have been enough to sustain all the predators. ...That`s why I think
quite a few  smaller,contenent-wide extinctions may have occurred via
periodic meteor strikes,...and on a fairly regular basis (astronomically
speaking), that would have been severe enough to cause turnovers in the
large theropod population, allowing the "bird-du-joir" (pardon my french),
to become the secondarily flightless, new type of top predator.