Re: _Archaeoraptor_

Caitlin Kiernan wrote:

<It's possible someone's pointed this out already (I
confess to not having read every post related to the
recent NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC article), but since, by the
ICZN code, pp. 100-101 of Vol. 195, No. 5 of NG, does
constitute a valid (albeit marginal) taxonomic
description, then Stephen Czerkas, when he *does* get
around to describing the Liaoning fossil, cannot be
the *author* of the binomen _Archaeoraptor
liaoningensis_. Rather, that honor falls to
Christopher P. Sloan, who wrote the NG article. Thus,
the correct name is _Archaeoraptor liaoningensis_
Sloan 1999, whether that was Sloan's intention or
not.>

  Actually, Sloan refers to the Czerckas' (both of
'em, Stephen and Sylvia) as the originators of the
name, therefore the proper citation would be
"Archaeoraptor liaoningensis" Czerckas and Czerckas
_vide_ Sloan, 1999.

  Such as *Erlikosaurus andrewsi* Barsbold and Perle
_vide_ Barsbold, 1983, wherein the last author cited
refers the nomen [and description] to the previous one
(or two, et al.).

  However, if my understanding is right on the matters
of naming a formal taxon and having it _accepted_,
then the aforementioned "Archaeoraptor" has to have a
formal description, however brief, that describes the
fossil in some detail, a name, an etymology, a
designated type specimen, and a photo or illustration
of the fossil accompanying the rest; only a few of
these were provided, and though the name appeared in a
peer reviewed journal (as did *Erlikosaurus,* in
Barsbold and Perle, 1979) the formal description is
the final word, and must also be published in a
peer-reviewed journal. _Enquirer_ doesn't cut it, and
to my understanding, neither does _Priroda_ [Nature],
a Russian popular press magazince in which
*Therizinosaurus* first appeared (Maleev, 1951).
Perle, 1976 was the first to formally publish the name
with a description of the type claws, so perhaps the
proper citation should be: *Therizinosaurus
cheloniformis* Maleev _vide_ Perle, 1976.

 For now, the name is valid only as a nomen nudum, as
far as I can tell, until whatever occurs to describe
it formally -- JVP might be a good choice, given the
oddities I [and others] have seen in the fossil. But
I'd better stop before I become a hypocrite.

=====
Jaime "James" A. Headden

Qilong---is temporarily out of service.
Check back soon.