Re: tyrannosaurid ancestry, raptors and other fun things...

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999 Buckaroobwana@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings,
> Can anybody tell me how closely related tyrannosaurids are to dromeosaurids.
> I know that the current theory is that the tyrannosaurs evolved from smaller
> carnivorous dinosaurs, but which ones?

Not dromaeosaurids. Early (possible) members of the tyrannosauroid lineage
are not that well known -- _Stokesosaurus_ and _Siamotyrannus_ and
_Iliosuchus_ and _Itemirus_. The placement of these animals as
tyrannosauroids remains contentious, though.

See http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/taxa/coelurosauria.html
for several diagrams on coelurosaurian relationships.

> Is there any evidence to support Greg Pauls contention that
> tyrannosaurs arose from advanced allosaurs from the early Cretaceous?

Tyrannosaurids are now regarded as large coelurosaurs, not allosauroids.
(They really need to fix that display at the AMNH...)

--T. Michael Keesey
tkeese1@gl.umbc.edu | THE DINOSAURICON: http://dinosaur.umbc.edu/
AOL IM:  Ric Blayze | WORLDS:    http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~tkeese1/