-----Original Message-----
From: TomHopp@aol.com <TomHopp@aol.com>
To: larryf@capital.net <larryf@capital.net>; dinosaur@usc.edu
<dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Monday, November 15, 1999 6:19 AM
Subject: Re: Theories on the extinction of dinosaurs

>I'm willing to speculate a little. What was that p-chem equation, PV=nRT or
>some such thing? Pressure converts to heat. Whatever. I think I got a C in
>that class, you know, back when they gave grades.
>
>- Tom Hopp

Well,...it`s been even longer for me! I started out as a Chem major,...went
to Bio (and later wished it was Paleo...too late! :^P)...but it seems that
equation dosen`t account for any matter to energy conversion that would have
been necessary for such a heat wave to occur, especially if you think the
upper layers of the oceans also heated up as well. (Damn!...takes sooo long
for me to boil water for tea..8^). I imagine everything on the surface would
have to fry first! ...and heat tends to travel upwards and
all...(Archimedes). Perhaps some nuclear fusion took place, ...but to what
extent??? The bolide was what...9 miles across, (6?..I don`t remember), but
the earth`s atmosphere seems  much too large to have generated that much
heat.

PV=nRT....T=PV/nR....n ( the number of moles) is in the denomenator.
Although temperature will seem to rise dramatically with slight increase in
pressure in a small container,....the number of moles of the entire earths
atmosphere would be so huge, as to make the rise in P a negligeable
factor......(I think?)