Larry Febo wrote:

> PV=nRT....T=PV/nR....n ( the number of moles) is in the denomenator.
> Although temperature will seem to rise dramatically with slight increase in
> pressure in a small container,....the number of moles of the entire earths
> atmosphere would be so huge, as to make the rise in P a negligeable
> factor......(I think?)

Don't think of n as being the whole atmosphere, but only the air at the
front of the shock wave.  At first n would be relatively small and T
intense.  As the shock wave radiates out, P decreases and n increases so
T decreases. I have no idea at what radius T becomes negligible.

Les Eastman
les_eastman@netfox.net
Havre de Grace, MD