Re: Jobaria and the Elephant Commit Suicide

In a message dated 11/13/99 1:23:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mbonnan@hotmail.com writes:

> Here's something else to think about.  Maybe the bones can support 3 times
>  the weight in COMPRESSION (i.e., when they are vertical), but less (I
would
>  expect) if they are bent.  Sereno et al. give us restorations of the
>  elephant and sauropod with BENT knees while rearing

I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the Sereno team's findings
indicated that the femora were three times as strong as they needed to be *to
support the animal in the rearing position*.

>  I again emphasize the Caudofemoralis longus tail muscle.  Elephants have
no
>  real tail to speak of, yet the tail of sauropods had muscles which were
>  intimately tied with locomotion.  How are these tail/femur muscles being
>  accounted for?  If you bend your knees so that the femur swings forward,
how
>  far can that muscle stretch?  Would such a muscle restrict how far you can
>  rear up?  At this point, I am not satisfied with current sauropod rearing
>  explanations.

I suppose the caudofemoralis would be stretched if the animal were trying to
sit on its cloaca, human-style, but I think the femur would actually be
*retracted* to bring a sauropod into the classic rearing pose, since the
vertebral column would be rotated up to a subvertical position.  The pose in
which the caudofemoralis really would be stretched is when the animal
squatted, a position we are now fairly confident at least some sauropods
could achieve.

--Nick P.