Re: giant birds

In a message dated 11/15/99 7:36:54 PM EST, sarima@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< In other words, all he is doing is moving the position of the feature
 "powered flight" on the traditional tree from a point slightly basal to
 _Archaeopteryx_ to a point deep inside the dinosaur clade. >>

I'm also spreading the "point" of powered flight into a continuum of flight
modes. I think it might be very difficult to pin down the moment when
"powered flight" arises in a near-avian lineage.