At 08:10 AM 11/12/99 -0800, James R. Cunningham wrote:
>rate of
>change.  The Deccan traps appear to have been several million years older
>than the
>impact

More precisely, the *beginning* of the Deccan volcanism is securely placed
about half a million to a million years prior to the impact.  The *end* of
the Deccan volcanism was a similar period *after* the impact.  (The impact
was probably about two thirds of the way through the time of the Deccan
emplacement).

This dating is based largely on magnetostratigraphy.  The impact and the
K-T boundary are in the latter half of the 29R magnetochron.  The
production of the Deccans started in the preceding 30N chron, and continued
into the succeeding 29N chron.

This is rather conclusive.

>about dead in the middle of the probable 11-50 mile/second range, and I also
>doubt
>the accuracy of the amber measurements,...

So do I.  I am particularly skeptical of a oxygen level close to
spontaneous combustion levels for organics!