At 02:08 PM 11/13/99 -0500, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/13/99 6:52:45 AM EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:
>
><< What you mean "we"?  As far as _I_ know, there is only one place with a
> resolution fine enough to make that claim: the North American western
> interior.  Extrapolating from that to a world-wide instantaneous
> extinction is un-scientific. >>
>
> Fair enough. Meanwhile, please indicate anywhere in the world where
>dinosaurs are known to have survived into the Paleocene.

That wasn't the point.  The point was that for most terrestrial vertebrate
sites, the resolution of the putative K-T boundary temporally is not
sufficiently precise to allow confidence about any simultaneity or lack
thereof around the world.

There is a subtle specter of circularity here.  The Paleocene is, in most
areas, effectively defined as the beds after the dinosaurs died out.
Without independent temporal controls it is really impossible to tell if
the supposed K-T boundaries in various locations are actually co-eval.