RE: Theories on the extinction of dinosaurs

>> How do they know the object was 6 mi in diameter?<<

> They don't, but estimate it from the size of the crater.<

Actually, Alvarez et al estimated the size of the bolide in their 1980
article, long before the Chixulub crater was found.  As I recall, their
estimate was based on how large the object needed to be to result in
global deposition of iridium in the amounts they found in their samples
of the boundary clays.

Pat