Great post.  The H-bomb 'hole' analogy isn't quite valid because of the
penetration
effect, but you certainly can expect massive amounts of material to be blown
into
orbit or reach escape velocity.  There is some evidence that the moon itself is
formed from debris from an earlier, larger impact with the earth.  There would
be a
lot of collateral damage from stuff that didn't reach orbital velocity, or whose
orbital path intersected the earth's atmosphere.  Personally, I think the
rain/flood/erosion/sedimentation cycle triggered by the impact may have caused
the
most long-term damage, but I'm probably prejudiced because of my profession.
For a
generation or so, the repetitive flooding would have moved a massive amount of
material from the uplands to the seas, causing damage from erosion in the
uplands
and siltation in the floodplains and coastal areas.

Jim