RE: What are these dinosaurs?

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Dinogeorge@aol.com
>
> << Tyreophorus Huene 1929>>
>
> This is a misspelling of Thyreophora that became a nomen nudum genus in
> Huene's monograph on South American dinosaurs. I think he
> intended to refer
> some indeterminate ankylosaurian material to Thyreophora incertae
> sedis, and
> that's how it came out in published form. Perhaps a problem in
> translating
> the monograph into Spanish. Huene also acquired the genera
> Carnosaurus and
> Coelurosaurus in ths paper the same way: indeterminate large theropod
> material referred to Carnosauria incertae sedis and small
> theropod material
> referred to Coelurosauria incertae sedis.

I wonder if Huene's 1926 name Ornithomimidorum is the same type of
transformation (i.e., a higher level taxon temporarily transformed into a
genus-like word to label a fragmentary specimen).

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661       Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-314-7843is material in the
1985
work.