On the Avian-Features of some Maniraptora

Nick Longrich wrote, in reply to Pat Norton:

<Published info is actually fairly good by now. The
original description of dromaeosaur sternals is in
Russian by Barsbold, if I recall, so it's often not
cited (Barsbold made some important contributions that
usually get overlooked in citing people who helped
establish the bird-dinosaur). More recently Norell and
Makovicky had an AMNH Novitates paper where they
describe dromaeosaur anatomy, including a fairly good
pair of sternals. They lack any sort of midline fusion
or keel, as do other known dromaeosaur sternal
plates.>

  True. To true. However, Makovicky and Norell have a
follow-up to their 1997 paper (dromie anatomy II) in
press which describes another specimen of
*Velociraptor*; stay tuned to see what offers.
Incidentally, the original had uncinate processess as
distinct bones of a thin sinuous form in contact with
(if I remember correctly) three ribs, overlapping the
intervening one.

<I believe that there is a single oviraptorid sternum
with midline fusion, but it lacks a keel.>

  There are three specimens of oviraptorid sterna, two
ascribed to *Oviraptor*, the other to *Ingenia* (see
Barsbold, 1983); two (one for each genus) has midline
fusion, but the one refered to *Ingenia* has a broad,
raised and rounded ridge that may be analogous or
homologous to a keel. Also, "Big Mama", described by
Chiappe et al. 1994 and Clark et al. 1999, has
uncinates, but broad and triangular, and contact only
two ribs. Neither dromaeosaurid nor oviraptorid
uncinates are fused to the ribs.