Re: Laser fossil preparation

Jeff Hecht wrote, in part (,,,,,forgive me, I'll be quick):

>ultrafast laser pulses (lasting 0.1 trillionth of a second) to remove the
matrix from fossils. It's an idea being developed at the Lawrence Livermore
Laboratory, as a spinoff of some of their military work<

Oh good, the military, fractions of nanoseconds and paleontology all in one
post. Who could ask for more?  Maybe next, after the skills---and, yes, the
human creative talent---of the fossil preparators have been rendered
obsolete, perhaps we can look forward to a laser-guided, tera-hertz
paleontologist-substitute computer chip that will describe a specimen in a
trillionth of a second while producing both a cladogram that *everyone* will
agree with and an entertaining yet light-hearted article about it for
popular consumption. No doubt all of it will all be available immediately
on-line (for a fee, of course).

Pat