Re: Afrovenator pronunciation

Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote: (in response to another post,
which said)

>  Should not the manner in which the person who actually named
>  it be the "official" pronunciation (or, at least, as close as one can come
>  to the language and accent of the name and the namer)? >>
>
> Absolutely agree with this, and I know that Ben Creisler has gone to great
> lengths to determine original authors' pronunciations of recently formed
> dinosaur names.

Since this was my thread originally, let me summarize.

Seems like there are two camps: (1) the Latin classicists,
or neo-classicists; and (B) the folks that say that since
Sereno _et al._ named the thing, they can pronounce it
however they want to.

Seems like both groups make a pretty strong case.

To Dinogeorge: Is there any "official" body that decides
these things?

You say poe-tay-toe, I say poe-tah-toe.

I will leave it to someone else to say "Dan Quayle."