Re: Unified Cladistics

----------
>"Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
wrote

>Remember that a cladogram does *NOT* describe an organism; it describes an
>hypothesis of the phylogenetic position of the organism.  _Archaeopteryx_
>remains the same animal in both tests; but the two tests are examining very
>different questions.

Uh, no, I don't think so: a cladogram describes a hypothesis about perceived
similarities between organisms. There is then a second hypothesis that the
similarities are due to relatedness, and if that hypothesis is true then the
cladogram might be similar to the phylogeny of the organisms being
considered.

Cheers,
Adrian