Re: What are these dinosaurs? 2: Return of What are these dinosaurs?

In a message dated 11/17/99 3:00:29 AM EST, mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com
writes:

<< What's the story behind Ponerosteus?  On Dinodata, it is said to have
 something to do with Procerosaurus/Iguanodon exogirarum. >>

How did this one get out?? I must have mentioned it casually to somebody in
an email or sent it as part of my Mesozoic Meanderings #2 manuscript, and now
it's posted on the Web. Sheesh. Well, I intended to rename the genus for
Procerosaurus exogirarum (formerly Iguanodon exogirarum) because
Procerosaurus Fritsch 1905 is preoccupied by Procerosaurus Huene 1902, and a
few years ago Ben Creisler came up with the replacement name Ponerosteus,
which means "bad bone" or "poor bone." This fully describes the type specimen
of Procerosaurus exogirarum, which is so indeterminate that I can barely
classify it as Ornithischia incertae sedis. Also, the species name derives
from the genus Exogyra, a shell from the formation in which the "bad bone"
was discovered, so the species epithet should be spelled "exogyrarum" (as it
has been several times in the literature already). As far as I know,
Ponerosteus hasn't appeared in print yet, and it shouldn't until I publish it
myself.