Re: What are these dinosaurs? 2: Return of What are these dinosaurs?

In a message dated 11/17/99 3:00:29 AM EST, mickey_mortimer@email.msn.com
writes:

<< Macelognathus Marsh 1884
 Nectosaurus Versluys, 1910/ Merriam, 1905
 These appear on the Dinodata website.  What are they?>>

Here is my note on Macelognathus from MM #2:

Genus: Macelognathus Marsh, 1884
= Macellognathus Baur, 1891 [sic]
= Marcellognathus Romer, 1966 [sic]
M. vagans Marsh, 1884?
NOTE: Originally classified in its own reptilian order and occasionally
considered a small dinosaur (Baur, 1891), the above genus is now placed into
Crocodylia (Ostrom, 1971). T. L. Ford has suggested (pers. comm.), however,
that it may be a primitive caenagnathid-like theropod.

Nectosaurus is what Brown was going to call Kritosaurus navajovius until he
found out that the genus was preoccupied. It leaked out in a published paper
by Versluys, who visited Brown around 1910 when Kritosaurus was still being
called Nectosaurus but failed to notice the name change in time to correct it
in his paper.

<< I'd never heard of Meniscoessus caperatus (Marsh 1889) (also on Dinodata).
 Apparently has something to do with Tripriodon caperatus, which I believe is
 a synonym of Paronychodon lacustris.  Who came up with the name
 Meniscoessus? >>

I think it's a Marsh name, but mammals aren't my bailiwick. It was originally
called Tripriodon caperatus (a species of the mammal genus Tripriodon) and
was later referred to the genus Meniscoessus (by whom I don't recall), but it
is based on theropod teeth similar to the type teeth of Paronychodon and is
probably best referred to Paronychodon as P. caperatus. I think Estes 1964
discusses it under Paronychodon.