Unified cladistics, et al.

Well, having read the "Unified Cladistics" thread as it stands thus far, it
strikes me that there is a need for a society or organisation similar to
ICZN to keep track of an ever-growing database on phylogenetic systematics.
I propose this database keep a record of all known specimens down to catscan
details in one place and then send the text-based clipnotes of this data to
a website so that it is available to researchers.  I am beginning to
understand that this would not do the wrok for us, more that it would help
us having to do the same bits of work many times over independently when we
needn't have to.

Problems I can see with this:
1.Results would for the moment be biased in favour of anatomical features
which could fit inside current catscans.
2.The cost!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I'm sure it'd be no more than you spend on a
state-of-the-art genetics lab
3.The size of the mother database - if Wankel's T-rex skull took up a
gigabyte of information to record, how much would all the currently known
dinosaur material take up?

I appreciate that my brainchild is currently unfeesible, but it might be
something worth striving for.  (I'd set up a small-scale version myself if
someone would fund me :) )

Sam Barnett