Re: Unified cladistics, et al.

Nick Pharris writes:
> But the problem is that we often *do* have to.  The study of phylogeny is
> rife with examples of characters that are not easily describable in verbal
> form, that various researchers have various interpretations of, or that
have
> been ambiguously, confusingly, or misleadingly described in the
literature.

> So while I think a graphic database (down the road, when we all have
> supercomputers on our desktops) would be invaluable for this sort of
> investigation, I don't know that a text-based database would do it.

You got a point there - I was thinking text-based would be easier for
reference from the internet in terms of length of download time.  How about
line drawings from every angle comparing each anatomical part with numbered
sutures and features etc...  Measurements could be made from point 1 to
point 2 along the outer shape of the bone,  along the inside accordingly,
and 'as the crow flies' as it were in a direct line as if measured from a
fax.  Then doing the same from point 2 - 3, 1 - 3, 3 - 4, 3 - 1, 3 - 2
etc... The right sort of software package should do this all from a catscan
if it knows what you are refering to as coordinates.  This much could be
compared empirically.

Sam